Economic Inequality and The Fight Against Poverty Among Salvadorans in the US.

The latest data from the Pew Research Center reveals a concerning trend for Salvadorans living in the United States. According to the 2021 American Community Survey, 17% of Salvadorans, both those born in the US and those born outside of the nation, are currently living in poverty. This statistic sheds light on the economic challenges faced by this community, despite their contributions to American society.

The survey further dissects the economic circumstances of Salvadorans in the US, painting a more detailed picture of their living situations. While 46% of Salvadorans have managed to attain homeownership, the remaining 54% are still renting their residences. These numbers underscore the diversity within the Salvadoran community, with some achieving the American dream of homeownership while others continue to navigate the rental market.

Comparatively, the poverty rate among Salvadorans is slightly lower than the 18% reported among Hispanics in general. However, it’s worth noting that this rate is still higher than that of some other Hispanic subgroups. The poverty rates for Puerto Ricans (21%), Dominicans (20%), Guatemalans (23%), and Hondurans (26%) exceed that of Salvadorans. On the other hand, the poverty rate within the Salvadoran community surpasses that of Cubans (14%), Colombians (12%), Spaniards (13%), Ecuadorians (13%), Peruvians (11%), Venezuelans (13%), Nicaraguans (13%), Panamanians, and Chileans (12%), Costa Ricans (9%), and Argentinians (7%).

It’s evident that poverty remains a significant concern within the Hispanic population as a whole in the United States, with a 14% poverty rate compared to the national average of 14%. However, despite the higher poverty rate, the average family income for Hispanics ($59,000) is slightly lower than the national average ($61,000). Among Salvadoran workers employed full-time, the average annual income is $38,400, which is slightly less than the average income of Hispanic workers, at $40,000 per year. The majority of Salvadorans are employed (68%), while only 5% are not in the workforce.

These statistics serve as a reminder of the complex economic dynamics within the Hispanic community in the United States. While some groups have made strides in homeownership and income, challenges such as poverty persist for others, including Salvadorans. Addressing these disparities will require a multifaceted approach that considers factors like education, employment opportunities, and access to affordable housing. As the US continues to be enriched by its diverse population, it is essential to ensure that every individual has the opportunity to achieve economic stability and prosperity.